It is our network’s vision to see “A chaplain serving in every sports community in Australia”
Whilst every chaplain works under the care of their local church the SCA network provides best practice training, compliance, suitability and peer support. To achieve this we look to work closely with our sports community and local churches to provide the very best pastoral care personnel for our clubs.
About Sports Chaplaincy Australia
- We were established in 1984
- Exist to grow sports chaplaincy & chaplains
- A non-denominational, Christian-based network of chaplains
- Are a not-for-profit charity, Incorporated Association
- A national governance Board who focus on strategy
- Work in relationship with all sports agencies
- Work in-sync with the local church & agencies
- Is the national SC umbrella & credentialing authority
- Provide specialised training in sports pastoral care
- Are Aussie-made
- Based out of Docklands Stadium, Victoria
Sports Chaplaincy Australia’s charter is to enrich the lives of all people involved in sport throughout Australia by demonstrating Christ’s love and hope to them. We achieve this by training dedicated men and women to provide pastoral care to high performance and local sports communities.
Our Point of Difference
SCA’s point of difference in sports is we provide an excellent level of Pastoral Care. Which includes practical care, spiritual care and mental health care. All our chaplains are trusted volunteers and serve free of charge to their clubs or sports.
Our chaplains are authentic Christian people with a genuine love for Jesus Christ and serve any person of any faith or world-view. In fact, after 30 years of service to sports in Australia (including the AFL, NRL, V8s, etc) that’s what we’ve discovered makes an outstanding sports chaplain. Our chaplains serve under a common statement of faith as outlined in our SCA Professional Code of Conduct.
Our commitment is that we will ensure our chaplains are:
- Authentic in motivation & service
- Respectful of all persons
- Always a guest
- There to serve
- Trained in Sports Pastoral Care
Many people ask “Why do we need a chaplain?” or “Where does a chaplain fit in a sports club?” Apart from the primary fit of ‘Pastoral Care’ our chaplains also provide:
- Clubs with a sustainable care strategy
- A club with a SAFE person
- A caring person for those in distress
- Help to clubs or individuals to navigate grief & loss
- A champion for healthy & strong community